Theotokos. Icon. Our Lady Derzhavnaya
Our Lady Derzhavnaya ("The Sovereign") is a Russian icon believed to date from the 18th century
Icon. Our Lady Derzhavnaya
The icon was originally venerated in the Ascension Convent, in the Chertolye neighborhood near the Moscow Kremlin. In 1812, as Napoleon Bonaparte's Grande Armie approached Moscow during the French invasion of Russia, the icon was taken to the village church in Kolomenskoye for safekeeping and subsequently forgotten until 1917.
The “Enthroned” (or “Reigning”) Icon of the Mother of God appeared on March 2 (15), 1917, in the village of Kolomenskoye near Moscow, Russia.
March 2 (15), 1917 is the date of Tsar Nicholas II’s abdication.